Dave Sage the Cycling Development Officer for the North of Scotland for Cycling UK is looking to support Community Cycle Groups.
The cycling charity is looking to contact established community groups and provide them with access to free training, tailored support and free insurance so they can begin running their own cycling activities on their terms and challenging local barriers.
What is a Community Cycle Club?
Community Cycle Clubs are developed by Cycling UK to support existing groups and community organisations to deliver cycling activities that are open to all. Community Cycle Clubs offer activities such as led rides for beginners, bike maintenance and bike recycling. They provide a social environment to gain confidence and skills on a bike, improve fitness and have fun!
Cycling UK will provide support tailored to their needs through access to training, insurance and advice. They are part of our UK wide network of community clubs, cycling groups, and thousands of individual members that support people from all backgrounds to access cycling.
Community Cycle Clubs are created by working closely with established community groups so that cycling activities can be tailored to meet the needs and interests of local people that have already come together for a common purpose.
Why become a Community Cycle Club?
- Dedicated Development Officer time offering knowledge specific to region and local authority area.
- Free Cycling UK Affiliation worth £75 with subscription to monthly Cycle magazine, newsletters, shop discounts etc. (this also provides you with ride insurance for peace of mind)
- Free starter pack for your Community Cycle Club including First Aid Kit, Multi-tool and other essential start up accessories.
- Networking opportunities
- Information and signposting to initiatives and programmes beneficial to your activities
- Free training and development opportunities worth over £1200:
- FREE Cycle Ride leader training
- FREE First Aid training
- FREE Trail side repair training
If you are interested in becoming a Community Cycle Group or would like more information, contact Dave Sage, Development Officer (North) – Big Bike Revival Cycling UK Mobile: 07887 567361 email@example.com
“You just need a couple of people in your group who are keen to use their interest in cycling to help get others out and about,” Dave explains. “Sending a message around your volunteers / community to see if those individuals exist and if they can support you in that way is a great way to get started. This is all about casual and social riding; nothing serious or requiring lycra.”
“You don’t have to get your volunteers to complete the training straight away – you can just become an affiliated group immediately – but it’s completely funded and will provide them with extra skills to take rides out with confidence and competency.”
The project is funded by Transport Scotland.